Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thankful (again) for Clinical Trials!!!


It's been long overdue and I think it's time for a Thankful Thursday...

I'm thankful for the advances in CF medications. Yesterday I had the opportunity to be pre-screened for a clinical drug study for a new anti-inflammatory. The hope is that this new drug will have all of the benefits of other anti-inflammatory medication with none of the drawbacks. I for one am really crossing my fingers that I get the drug. I have a 66% chance so the odds are in my favor, but you never know. Nevertheless, I'm just thankful for the opportunity to do the trial and hopefully be a small part of something much bigger. I've heard from other fibros and cysters in the community who feel that they were randomized the drug, that it kept them healthy for longer and made it easier to breathe. I'd love a piece of that.

I'm thankful for the rainstorm I drove through on my way to Tucson. As we made our way to Tucson, it was raining kittens and puppies. I had my wipers on full speed and it barely made a dent (that is rare for these parts). I was saying to Mandi that this was the first time I've seen a rainstorm first hand for about 5 months. Now, I'm a clear blue skies and a bright orange sun kind of a guy, but I must admit, I'd love for the skies to open up again and let it rain. We haven't experienced a rainstorm together in our first house and it's something I'm definitely looking forward to.

I'm thankful I'm not a landscaper. I have SO MUCH respect for the guys and gals that choosethat profession here in Arizona, heck, anywhere. I may have sweat 15 gallons of sweat while mowing the lawn yesterday. Here's the problem though, it was slightly overcast, with a breeze and the coolest it's been while the sun is going down for at least the last 2 months. Still,
I was barely able to open my eyes to mark out my path because of the mixture of liquid and salt pouring into my eyes. I made it through the torture and even had the courage to edge using the weed whacker, but then the old trusty blower wouldn't start. Now I have grass clippings kicking it all over my sidewalk. I can't tell you the level of frustration I felt on my 135,009th pull to try and get that stupid blower started. I finally gave up and swept all of the grass clippings off with my sandal. I'm so thankful I'm not a landscaper.