Tuesday, November 1, 2011

2 Weeks Down: Trick-or-treat?

In keeping with the Halloween spirit I thought I would reflect on some of the tricks and treats that occurred during the past 2 weeks. Wow, first just let me say that I can't believe it's only been 2 weeks! If I woke up tomorrow and someone told me that it had been 2 months I would completely believe them.

With this being our first child, there are some things that I expected and some things that I didn't expect. We both have been around younger children, whether it be family members or neighbors, but it is quite a different experience when you're the one solely responsible for this little life. Just like any first-time parents, or any parents for that matter, we have had our share of both tricks and treats. Without further ado:

Tricks:

I knew that babies pooped and peed a lot, but I never imagined that it would be this much! It is true what they say, newborns are doing one of 3 things - eating, sleeping or pooping. Our little one has eating and sleeping down pretty well but she's still working on that messy little thing called pooping. Don't get me wrong, she poops enough for 56 babies, but her timing could use some help. Is it just Mckenna that insists on going to the bathroom while we're currently changing her diaper? It seems no matter how patient we are, she just waits for us to clean her up and put the new diaper down on the mat before she decides to finish going to the bathroom. Not only that, but this girl has a cannon on her!

Am I the only father out there that's jealous of breast-feeding? No, it's not that I want to breast-feed, but it's that I am just a tad bit jealous of that special time that Mandi and Mckenna get to spend together. It's funny, when I say it I think is sounds stupid, but I'm just being honest here. I managed to call bath time to try to make up for it a bit, but it just isn't the same. Never did I think that I would be jealous of not having boobs.

My back hurts. I think it's a combination of many things i.e. the gym, spin class, etc. but I would not doubt for a second that carrying around this almost 7 pound bowling ball has something to do with it! We then of course have to add in her car seat and the awkward angle that I take each and every time I put her securely in the base station. It's actually gotten to the point that Mandi scheduled a massage for me, but I don't think it helped very much. Pretty sure I need to focus more on stretching as this little baby girl will only get heavier.

Treats:

All of you parents will understand this first treat - a love that's never been felt before. Now, please don't take this the wrong way, as I felt a more intense love the day I fell in love with and consequently married my wife, but this is in fact different. It's a combination of feeling an overwhelming need to protect, provide for and lead someone who would be completely incapable of doing it on their own. Mandi doesn't need me, she wants me. Mckenna on the other hand, needs her daddy. So whatever you call it, or however you want to define it, it's been amazing feeling this kind of love.

Mandi would tell you that I'm a big-time snuggler through in through. I've been able to take my love of snuggling to another level. If Mandi and I sat around snuggling all day we wouldn't get anything done (although that would be awesome). What's great about Mckenna, is I can snuggle her with one hand and I'm free to get work done with the other. Mandi and I have also worked out a routine to maximize Mandi's sleep that involves me taking over the parental duties early in the morning. I admit however that the 1st hour or so of those duties includes me snuggling Mckenna in our bed. Life. Is. Good.

One thing I'm not is a shopper. However, I have the best time buying baby clothes for Mckenna. I'm not so sure that I've come home empty-handed anytime that I left the house. Obviously this cannot continue, but for the meantime, I'm having a blast! We will of course continue to post pictures so you can see all of the little outfits that we've brought home or had gifted to us. Want to know a secret? I can't wait to do her hair. (Has anybody seen my man-card by the way??)

There are more tricks and treats that have presented themselves in these first 2 weeks, but I thought I would just give you guys a little taste for your face. But now I want to hear from you!

When you think back to your 1st child, what would you say the tricks or treats were?