Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rondi's Recipes: Nacho Cheese Chicken Chowder

Mandi and I have been doing really well with cooking fun meals almost nightly, we just haven't been very good at reviewing them and posting for Rondi's Recipes. We had to bring it back though for a special dish we made last night. We had my lil' brother over for dinner, so we knew we'd have to make something that would fill up a "growing boy". We love to explore new recipes and try our hand at stuff that seems unique. We started with a recipe for Nacho Cheese Chicken Chowder and then added some stuff to make it our own. If you'd like to see the original recipe, click here.


Ingredients: Chicken breast, Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes, Nacho Cheese Condensed Soup, Corn, Cheese -- Not pictured because we added in on the fly: Green Chilies, Pinto beans, Taco Seasoning, Cumin, Chile Powder


Cut chicken into bite size pieces and threw into slow cooker.


Added all ingredients in recipe and then added our own.


Finished product all stirred together and cooked.


Serve it up!

Prep Time: About 10 minutes
Cook Time: About 5 hours in slow cooker on low heat
Total Time: About 5 hours

What we liked:
I loved the hint of cheesiness from the condensed nacho cheese soup.
I really liked the addition of the beans and the green chilies - it added some great flavor and who doesn't like beans?
I liked the big chunks of tomato.

I loved the fact that everything (besides the chicken) called for in this recipe came out of a can. Even the stuff we decided to add came in a can. Talk about easy. This was one of the easiest meals in the world to prepare.
I LOVE chicken tortilla soup and this reminded me a lot of it.
You can pretty much count on me liking anything made in the slow cooker as chicken and nacho cheese soup as it's base.
The broth to this chowder tasted absolutely amazing. I could have sipped on it all night.

What we'd change:


I would cut the chicken into smaller pieces and/or do shredded chicken.
I would use dark meat instead of white meat, but that's just because I always think white meat is dry!
I wouldn't mind adding a some jalapenos or something spicy to give it a bit more kick.


I would find a way to add more liquid next time. This definitely had a chowder type of a feel to it and I wouldn't mind making it more of a soup.
I think this could also be really good thickened up, subbing beef for chicken and making a chip dip.
I'm not sure how I would go about it, but this could have used just a bit more of a kick.
Next time, I will try to make the chicken pieces a bit smaller

Here's our overall rating (with 1 being the worst meal we've ever had and 10 being the best):


Mandi's Rating: 9.0

Ronnie's Rating: 8.5


Again, if you guys have any suggestions on how this is laid out or what you guys would like to see answered/done differently, please let us know :)