Monday, September 12, 2011

Vacationing at Club Med...icine

As many of you have read in past posts, I happen to enjoy hospital stays (to a point...after a few weeks I can get a bit stir crazy). There are so many things we enjoy in the hospital together that I look forward to this time together. After being back home Thursday-Saturday (had an OB appointment and some work stuff), I was looking forward to getting back to the hospital to spend a lazy day with my hubby yesterday...and I was not disappointed. Yesterday was the type of "hospital day" I look forward to.

I started the day with a run/walk, which felt glorious because it was "chilly" out (about 75). When I got back from my workout, Ronnie had just finished his vest treatment and we were ready to eat. There is only one desired option for weekend morning breakfasts in the hospital, and that is none other than DUNKIN! So I headed to DDs to get breakfast sandwiches and coffee. We then downed our sandwiches while enjoying our favorite radio segments from Johnjay and Rich - War of the Roses and Second Date Update (google them...they're epic). We then proceeded to sit around ALL morning and afternoon and listened through a huge chunk of archived War of the Roses and Second Date segments. It was incredible. There's nothing like laying around all day listening to mindless radio segments while snuggled up with your hubby. We laughed at all the funny callers and jokes of the DJs, we shared stories and "what would you do ifs" as we put ourselves in their shoes...oh and of course we enjoyed some Crunch Berries as our "popcorn" for the show. We just laid around, laid around, and oh yeah, laid around some more. We did rest our ears for a bit while Ronnie did his 11 AM and 3 PM treatments - he played video games and I napped. We snuck in a quick walk in the afternoon, but that was the extent of our physical exertion for the day, and it was amazing!! After hours of laying around and snuggling, Ronnie's mom and brother brought us a yummy soup for dinner and we topped off the night with my new favorite hospital tradition: fresh baked cookies from the cafeteria!

It was the most amazing day after. There is nothing better than having the excuse to lay around and enjoy my hubby's company. As I laid there this afternoon something really hit me though. I realized that days like these are likely coming to an end. Hospital stays will now become a time of increased responsibility for me verses a "vacation" from our reality. I found myself a little sad at the thought, but that sadness was quickly replaced with excitement. I couldn't help but wonder, "what new hospital traditions will we come up with for Peanut to enjoy?" I got excited about Peanut and I bringing daddy Dunkin together. I visualized Peanut going for IV pole rides. I thought about the fun Disney movies we'll watch together, the 3 of us snuggled in the tiny bed together. I cannot believe that this is our last hospital vacation just the two of us, and while that's a bit sad and scary, I find myself SO eager to see how the next hospital stay looks like with the 3 of us!!!! Let the new traditions begin!