Monday, October 15, 2012

Delayed Mandi Monday and Early Birthday Breakdown

Yet another Mandi Monday where my blog was practically posted on Tuesday. This time, again, my excuse is poor. The weekend flew by and this morning, my usual last minute posting-writing time, was jam packed with my 4:40AM core class, my run (which today was a lazy walk), breakfast, shower, and the exciting civil act of jury duty! Yippee! 

If you're wondering, I wasn't selected, but I did go and give it my best effort. I mean, who wouldn't select juror number 25, sporting red shoes with tassels? Nothing screams impartial and unbiased like a red pair of suede flats, right? Anywho, I wasted 6 hours of my day hurrying up and waiting...but hey, at least Mr. Slip and Fall got his day in court.

So this week is the week. This is the week I go from having a baby to a toddler. Mckenna turns one on Wednesday, and I have to say, it's very bittersweet. This time last year I was sitting on my couch, peacefully enjoying a whole Saturday afternoon of uninterrupted TV. Parents - remember those Saturdays? Non-parents - enjoy one for me this week, would ya? This time last year I had no idea that I'd only have another day to feel Mckenna's sweet kicks and nudges as she repositioned in my belly. This time last year I had no idea that in 12 hours I'd have my water break in bed, at 3:30AM. This time last year I had no idea my birthday would be spent in labor. And this time last year I had no idea my entire world was about to be rocked with the best birthday gift I've ever received.

I have never had a birthday like I had last year. And over the next few days, I'll relive those glorious hours through a couple blog posts, but all I can say is it was the best birthday I've ever had. I would relive that day every year on my birthday if I could. Being in labor is one of the most meaningful and beautiful experiences of my life. For someone who wasn't sure if they'd get to ever experience pregnancy and labor, I can tell you that no contraction is too strong or push is too painful. It was a time spent enjoying the day bonding with my husband and feeling overwhelmingly blessed. I have never felt more empowered and amazed by how perfectly God created a woman! 

And while I would love to relive last year's birthday over and over again, I wouldn't want to be anywhere in time other than now. I used to selfishly rejoice my own life on the 16th of each October, but now I celebrate my "special day" by reflecting on the perfect little blessing I got on (well 44 minutes after) my birthday. No package wrapped up with a bow could ever compete with the gift I received from God, and each year I get the blessing of remembering the gift that just keeps on giving.

This last year (which we will recap the highlights in a special birthday post) has been one of the most lesson-filled and blessed years of my life. We have had so many firsts as a family this year, as we've watched Mckenna grow from a little 6lb 2oz, 17inch peanut; to a walking, "talking," toddler, full of spunk, personality and intelligence. It is so bittersweet to think of all of the firsts that we will never have again. All of the stages she's already progressed through. All of the growth that has been done. There are so many memories I would love to relive again. But holy smokes am I excited for the next year to come. I can't wait to watch the spunk turn to sass as she realizes her independence (at the time, I know I'll hate it, but what an incredible step in a kids life); her personality come through more and more with every new word she learns and phrase she masters; and her intelligence continue to amaze us as she learns new skills. 

This week is one that will be met with both happy tears and sad - but both from a place of celebration.

So here's to our birthday week, baby girl!!