Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Foods I've Come to Crave

Mandi touched a bit on it yesterday, but I changed up ("changed up" see: actually developed one) my nutrition plan about 8 weeks ago and so far, I'm seeing great results!! I started at 182 lbs (in the morning) and have seen the scale get to 163 lbs. For those who are worried, my CF team has been kept in the loop and everything is looking good from their perspective. They asked that I don't get much below 160 lbs, which, has never been the plan so I'm good with that! I committed to 3 months of this new plan, and then I will slightly modify to start building muscle (aka up the calories by over 1000).

There was a big adjustment at first, but I know come to crave the foods I can eat. Sure, there are times I wish I could have some candy or a freshly baked oatmeal raisin cookie, but in times like those, I simply repeat this phrase, " That _________ doesn't taste as good as being fit feels".

Here are the top ten foods that I've come to crave (in no particular order):

I would pick the one on your right every time!!
1.    Turkey Taco - I start out with lean ground turkey on a whole grain/blue corn tortilla and top it with a "Santa Fe" mix of veggies (corn, black beans, red and green peppers and onions) and then of course top that off with some salsa.

2.    Grapes - Grapes have basically replaced candy for me. It's amazing how sweet they taste when I have not consumed sugar for 8 weeks.

3.    Broccoli - I try to eat the mini-trees at least every other day. I've always been a fan, I've just gotten away from eating steamed veggies over the years. I'm glad they're back - especially broccoli.

4.    Quinoa - Quinoa is such a great substitution for white rice (among many other things) and a great change-up from brown rice. I usually put some type of hot sauce on it to give it a kick, but even by itself, it has a great taste.

5.    Oatmeal - I start out each day with a bowl full of steel-cut oats with 1 tbs of natural peanut butter and a cup full of blueberries. That meal gives me a ton of great energy in the morning and it tastes superb!!

6.    Smoothie - For my "second breakfast" of the day, I generally have a shake/smoothie. The one that I've been making lately has really satisfied my "shake tooth". I have 10 ounces of water, a scoop of chocolate whey protein, a medium banana and a cup of strawberries. Gives my body some good carbs and protein before my workout.

7.    Mahi Mahi - I generally have fish for lunch after I get home from the gym and Mahi Mahi has become my favorite. I love how thick and almost steak-like that it is. I don't think it is "too fishy", but I also like that I can still tell that I'm eating fish :) Grilled or baked, either way, it's good!

8.    Sweet Potato Fries - Even before this new nutrition plan, Mandi and I had a lot of sweet potatoes. We love them in any form, any fashion, anywhere. We especially love baked sweet potato fries! We usually season them with some sort of steak seasoning and them bake em up. I actually made a "clean" ketchup to go with them :)

9.    Pasta - During my "re-feed" day, I get to eat a lot of pasta. And I mean, a lot. It gives my body the boost I need after being in a caloric deficit and tells my brain that I'm not starving :) I actually have pasta with veggies and pasta sauce for 3 out of my 5 meals on my re-feed day.

10.   Gum - Zero calorie or sugar-free gum surely isn't the healthiest thing around, but it has kept my sane at times. I have a sweet-tooth and gum has been able to satisfy it for the most part. I chew it when I'm working out...and when I'm not!

Well, that's it. Any of those foods look good to you? Any foods that you would recommend that you think would fit my nutrition plan? Let me know!!!