Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Recharged.

There are some times that I know I need to get recharged.

The need to be recharged is an obvious one - it feels like I'm running on fumes. I'm constantly tired and actually looking forward to putting my head on the pillow (very rare for me as I like "doing" rather than sleeping). My body starts to feel heavier. My legs feel like they are walking through sludge the whole day. My mind feels foggy. My brain feels fried.

So what's needed at a time like this? It's simple really...

SLEEP!

I started to feel very run down this past weekend. I wasn't all that eager to get to the gym and everything felt like it required more effort. Multiple times throughout the day I snuck in an espresso shot (or two) to try and give myself a little pick-me-up. I was running around quite a bit, but it felt more like sleep walking.

Now I'm a pretty scheduled guy. If you asked others, they'd probably say that I'm very scheduled. I wake up at the same time everyday (5:45am) and I go to sleep at the same time every night (9:30pm). Well, I lay in bed at 9:30pm. Actually falling asleep usually happens by 10:30pm. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same time every day but Sunday. I email at the same time every day. I do social networking and web surfing during selected times. Anyway, you get the drift.

The only "flexible" part of my schedule is bed time. If I have family in town, want to hang with Mandi longer or I stay up to catch a certain game, my bed time gets bumped back. Yet, my wake-up time stays the same. (A baby tends to do that to you).

So, in the interest of keeping with my strategy of controlling what I can control, I did the only thing I could do in this situation. I went to bed earlier. I know, genius, right?

The last two nights my head has hit the pillow at 8:30pm instead of 9:30pm and I'll tell you what - I can feel the difference. I can feel the difference from when I first wake up, and the feeling stays with me for most of the day.

So here's to getting an additional hour of sleep while I can. I hoping a couple more nights of this will get my battery back in the "green" zone :)