Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Like Riding a Bicycle.

About a month or so ago I got back into the Couch to 5k program after a running hiatus. I took the hiatus while doing various cardio programs that were working the heck out of my lungs and making me cough just as much as running. It was nice to give my feet a break (if you don't know I've dealt with foot issues since I started running), but it got to the point in which I felt like I had to run. Coming from me, even with the name of this blog, is a bit weird.

I hit certain points where I feel like I have to prove to myself that "I still got it". About a month ago I hit that point and wanted to prove to myself that I could run consistently, and based on history, I needed a program to do that. I picked the C25k because I've been successful with it before and it does a great job of easing the participant back into the grind that is running.

I started off great for the first couple of weeks, but then, I got bored. I couldn't stand to walk for as long as it called to walk and I didn't want to stop running when it called for me to stop. That's when I decided to take the plunge, and just run!!

For the past couple of weeks, I've been running every other day and it feels great. I usually let my feet rest on the weekends, so it actually works out to about 3 times a week. I'll start off with a 5, 10, 15 or 20 minute walk (whatever I'm feeling) and then I just go for it. Whether it's a mile run to my gym or a 30 minute run on the treadmill, I've been running until I physically have to stop. My stamina has definitely picked up in the last week, and I'm getting to the point where it's not torture the entire time...just most of the time :)

It just amazes me how quickly the body and lungs can "remember" to run. Like I said, it's like riding a bike...just a lot, and I mean a lot, harder!