Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tough Answer

This is definitely a common concern with many moms and dads in the CF community. I actually wanted to post this exchange, because as you'll see, I don't have a great answer. Maybe you do? Please share your experience and maybe a helpful tip or two to this mama. I'll make sure she reads it!!

Hope you won’t find this question too personal to answer. 
We have a toddler with CF. The one thing that still bothers me about his diagnosis is the likelihood that he is infertile/won’t be able to have children without assistance. Given all the other stuff CF does to one’s body it just seems so unfair! And kind of random too actually. 
Just wondering how old you were when you realized that possibility and how you dealt with it? Was there something your parents said to you then that you appreciate now? I know we have a LONG time before this conversation comes up in our house but it's been on my mind for the past two years. Thank you! 

There is nothing ever too personal with me mama.

To be honest, I can't really remember an exact conversation about this topic as a kid/young adult. I have a feeling that how my mom handled ever situation that came our way is how she taught me to handle the subject of infertility - We'll figure something out. She had faith that things work out as they should and ultimately, we're not in control. Through it all, she has believed the "God is good". He would have been good whether or not I had children.

I was 19 when I got tested to see if I had sperm present. I of course had none.

I also don't think it's all that random of a "side effect" of CF. The only sure way to stop a genetic illness from "spreading" is to not bear/produce children.

Sorry I don't have a great answer for you. It was just never made a big deal because God was in control.