Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Quicker than expected...

One thing that's been pretty consistent in my adolescent and adult life is the ability to make up ground quickly in my exercise health, but just as quickly lose it if I table it for a while.

While being on our east coast trip, I did very minimal exercise. Yeah, I walked around quite a bit and rode bikes often, but rarely did I push myself to the level that I'm used to at home. Mandi and I managed to do one, yes one, crossfit style workout in the 10 days we were away and I put on my running shoes exactly one time. (And of course there is always a reason - I experienced my first UTI EVER on this trip within the first 3 days of us being away and it lasted about 5 days. With that said, I still didn't maximize all of the days that I wasn't peeing fire.)

My run actually felt a lot better than I expected it to considering I haven't run for distance in over 3 months. I get so much cardio from the group classes that we do, and cough up so many lungs, that running isn't really necessary. Well, on my trip I was inspired by my crazy wife, who ended up running like 25 miles in three days, to actually lace up the ol' sneakers and go for a run. Not knowing how it would feel, I tried not to let my mind wander about the impending pain that was to come upon me.

To my surprise, it really wasn't all that bad. Granted, I tried to run down hill as much as I could, and I'm sure the ocean breeze helped with my "freshness", but even my lungs passed the test much better than I was expecting. I ended up running about 3 miles, and if I didn't feel pressed for time, I think I could have eeked out another mile or so.

Anyway, I'm happy that I got something done on my vacation other than eating ice cream for dinner and sitting around on the beach, even if it was just 2 workouts. I think those two workouts set me up quite nicely for my return to our classes this week as I don't think I lost as much ground as I usually do the other times that I've taken off of exercise. Sure, the workouts have been tough, but they've been manageable.

It feels good to be back, and I'm looking forward to where I can take my exercise health from here!!