Monday, July 13, 2009

Pulmonary Function Test with Sickboy

So here I am at clinic doing some PFT's (Pulmonary Function Test). They are trying to determine how many liters of air I can inhale into my lungs (FVC) and then how much of that air I can blow out in the first second (FEV1). They have a certain number predicted for each measure based on my age, height and weight. The last time I did these (about 3 months ago) I was 79%/61% (FVC/FEV). That means that I could get 79% of the air in that they predicted I should be able to get in, and of that air I can blow out 61% of that air in the first second. I completely normal lung can of course get 100%/100% or even above that. So what were my numbers today?


76%/59%!!! So if you're keeping score at home, I decreased a little bit from the last time I did these tests BUT they're using a slightly different system now to keep it more standard across the board at every clinic. So, in actuality, my numbers are the exact same! For the last three months my PFT's haven't declined one bit. I'll still be going into the hospital though as soon as they can get me a bed though. I feel some kind of infection going on and it's getting harder and harder to keep up with life and work and working out. So we're going to nip it in the bud before it gets worse and hopefully it will be a short stay. Wish me luck!

17 people had something to say...:

Michelle said...

GOOD LUCK BRO!

Jared said...

Wow, that's Tucson right? I was at the UPH clinic this morning at 8:45 AM so we may have seen each other.

Katelyn said...

I'm glad to read that your PFT hasn't decreased! Good luck in the hospital. Nip that junk in bud, my friend.

Graciy said...

Yay for staying the same! And yay for Mandi for noticing the color of your sputum! She's a keeper. I hope you can find a way to keep us updated on your visit.

Karla said...

Thankyou for the video and the imfo on the lung function test..You have had an impact on my life,, and I hope you cont. giving and teaching us things re:with CF...My little precious one's lung functions or about what your's are,, and she just turned 8 this month... God Bless You, Karla

Katey said...

I'm glad your PFTS's hadn't dropped! But I agree with nipping the infection before it gets too worse! Keep us updated....hopefully they will get a room soon!! And I'll be praying it's a short stay!

Karla said...

Thankyou for the video and the imfo on the lung function test..You have had an impact on my life,, and I hope you cont. giving and teaching us things re:with CF...My little precious one's lung functions are about what your's are,, and she just turned 8 this month... God Bless You, Karla

Kristen said...

Good luck! Congrats on the numbers holding steady! I hope they are even higher after your tune-up!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Ron!!! After the Mexico trip, I bookmarked your website so I could see how everything was going. I have really enjoyed perusing your website and have learned so much more about CF! Thanks for being so open and honest about what it is like. I am sure you are helping tons of people just by giving them an example of living with such a positive attitude no matter what the circumstance. It doesn't even have to be CF related! You are the only person with CF that I know, however working with the population of kids that I do, a lot of this applies to these families just as much as it does to the CF community. Anyways...thanks for sharing! Hopefully soup and survivor/LOST will start up again soon and I'll get to see you and Mandi more :) Say hi to her for me!!!

Sara

Lauren said...

great video! Is that PFT machine completely wireless/tubeless? That's pretty cool. Love the sputum shot at the end. Classic.

Anonymous said...

DUDE this video is great! i agree with katelyn and graciy, mandi is a keeper! (when a girl finds out i got cf she dont want anything to do with me.) also, go ahead and get it overwith before it gets worse and the best of luck on getting those pfts higher than ever! im gonna do a vid on my next pft, its a little bit of a different set up, ive never seen that portable thing b4.
we need more CFers like you that are determined to stay on the ball, and grab CF by the throat and say your NOT controlling my life! your great dude!

Jamie said...

Your video brings back bad memories. . . the coughing, the spitting, the pain. I am so impressed with how well you take care of yourself and you look great too! It takes a lot of work to stay stabilized. Good Luck in the "Joint" get tuned up and back to being awesome!

Unknown said...

Hi! I just found your blog...it's great! I have a 5 year old son with CF. I enjoyed reading your post about inspiring others and creating awareness. Before I had my son I had no idea what cystic fibrosis was. I remember one time (before my son was born) my neighbor was doing a fund raiser for CF and I didn't give anything...sad but true. Anyway I like your blog and will start following it!

Denise said...

Get in there and get better!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting videos of your PFT. I love knowing what is in store at the CF clinic. It takes away some of the "unknown" and anticipation. Will be praying that you guys get the infection real quick!

Cystic Gal said...

I'm sorry you're going in the brig but it's probably for the best and better to go in while you're still mostly well! :) You will be SUPER SICK BOY by the time you get out!! Love, CGBeth

Unknown said...

I just stumbled onto your blog, and while I usually don't follow many CF blogs I'm adding this one to my google reader. This video cracked me up b/c it made me realize that PFTs are the same EVERYWHERE. The tech is always saying "keep going... keep going" and then there's coughing into the cup etc when it's all over. Well done. Now when anyone asks what a PFT is I can just direct them here!