Wednesday, July 15, 2009

They Wouldn't Let Me Film the PICC Placement

It was a pretty uneventful day in the hospital today. They wouldn't let me film my PICC line being placed, but I'm going to have them talk to my "legal team" for the next one that they do. Most adult CFers can probably relate to how I'm feeling today; it feels like I got run over by an 18 wheeler.

If you want to get to the "meat" of the video blog you can skip to :59. I haven't learned how to edit videos yet so you get to see all of it.


I did find the following video on a girl getting a PICC line placed at her bedside if you are interested. Also, if you want more info on a PICC line please click here.

10 people had something to say...:

Jessica said...

haven't watched the video (I'm at "work", more on that soon), but just out of curiousity...do you get your PICCs placed in radiology or at the bedside? Do they sedate you at all? Either way, hope things went smoothly...that's always the worst part of le hospitale for me :o( Hope you're feeling better soon! :o)

Unknown said...

I always go down to radiology because I sometimes have problems with scar tissue. I don't get sedated at all. I've had over 30 PICCs and I only got sedated for the first 2.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Ronnie

Jess said...

Ronnie I hope things are going well in the hospital for you :)

Erica said...

When you are able to capture your picc placement on film will you make sure to have "Brave Girl" playing in the background just like the other video? : ) Thanks.

Praying for you! Hope you have a healing stay.

Erica

Katelyn said...

I liked how they used the sonogram in the second video. The last time I had a PICC line placed my veins kept rolling so they busted that bad boy out after an hour of trying. It was a great day. I hope your PICC line placement went much better than that! Thanks for keeping us updated. :)

Karla said...

Hi Ronnie,,
Sorry you are not feeling well today.. Wished we could had watched the PICC Line placement...I know it's tough being in the hospital,,, but I am so thankful you are filming everyday...It helps to see how other people do while thier in ...I pray that you feel better soon...Karla
PS Hi Mandi.....

niki36 said...

Awesome idea posting the videos..too bad they didn't let you film your picc placement. And kudos for being a guinea pig yesterday..you are more patient then I am. When I was younger I had nurses stick me multiple times and now as an adult I won't allow it. Anyway, hope your hospital stay goes well and you are feeling great soon!

Niki

Katey said...

I like your video updates! I can't believe they didn't let you film your PICC...crazy!!! I had to get most of my PICC's placed in IR too...because of trouble getting through the veins from so much scar tissue. And most of the time I would get a little bit of demerol and versed, because after about 3 tries of putting in a PICC, I would get agitated. But it really didn't help!

But now I have my port (due to rejection), but use if for IV abx and love it! I'm glad you got your PICC though and that you are feeling better than the last time you were in!!! Praying for a quick recovery and these first few days won't be too bad!

Somer Love said...

Thanks for keeping us up to snuff!

The beginning of this video had me laughing yo and Mandy are hilarious! Federal crime??? LAme whatever lady!

Keep you chin up! I hope your joint stay isn't that bad!

Ps you need to decorate your room its so blahzay

Barry said...

I watched the two videos on the You Tube. For those of you that have PICC lines placed make sure that the person placing your PICC lines knows about and follows "Full Barrier Precautions". These were identified by the CDC in the 2002 MMWR recommendations and reports August 9, 2002 / 51 (RR10). They include the use of Mask, Cap, Sterile gown, Sterile gloves and Large drape. The large drape should be large enough to cover the whole body, yes that includes the head. Chlorhexidine is the skin scrub of choice. Hand Hygeine should be done before putting on sterile gloves. On another note Ultrasound should be used for getting into the vein. If it is not request to go to radiology for placement of your PICC. Make sure that your PICC caps are scrubbed vigorously with alcohol for 15 seconds and allowed to dry before anyone connects medications or syringes to your line. When someone comes to use your line look like Sickboy's dog you have the right to expect superior care in the prevention of Catheter Related Blood Stream Infections. CR-BSI. Ask your care giver what they do prevent them. Educate yourself on them. Google CR-BSI and go to the Institute for Healthcare Improvement to learn more. Good luck Sickboy continue taking charge of your care.