Monday, December 14, 2009

Date Night: Hospital Edition

I have to be honest with you guys, I've been getting a little stir crazy these last few days. As I've said in past blog posts, I actually like hospital stays. Ronnie and I tend to have a lot of fun while he's in. It's a good opportunity to spend time together, with no distractions (minus nurses in and out, doctors rounding, the IV machine beeping, the RTs coming by 4 times/day and the PCTs coming for vitals what feels like every 15 minutes). This hospital stay hasn't been any different in terms of fun. We've done some wedding planning, done WII bowling, spent time with his family, gone for nice walks, listened to Johnjay and Rich podcasts, etc etc. However, this is the first time I've spent a few weeks straight in here. And I have to tell you, it's made me a little nutty. I don't so much think that what matters is being stuck in the hospital, it's being stuck in one place for too long. I just feel like the walls are closing in at times.

Saturday night, I decided that was it. We were getting out of the room. We were going to have a change of scenery. We were going to get some alone time. We were going to have a DATE. I had brought some date-making supplies with me from Phoenix, but hadn't had a chance to use them. Saturday night was the night. It also happened to be exactly one month to the day that we got engaged! While Ronnie was getting his 7PM pound, I ran to to the grocery store to get sparkling cider and to Pei Wei and picked up fried rice with chicken and no broccoli for him and blazing noodles with chicken for me. I then found a secluded table outside of the hospital with a mountain view (and a TON of romantic road noise). I put down a tablecloth, lit some candles and told Ronnie where to meet me.

Ronnie meeting me at the rendezvous point

Ronnie really excited about dinner (and his date)

Getting ready to open our bubbly (sparkling cider)

I thought it was a twist-off...but it wasn't. So we had to use finger nail clippers

Our first kiss...on a date night, while in the hospital, at that table, with Pei Wei, eating on a blue table cloth, in the month of December

We had an awesome few hours away from the hospital routine. I felt totally refreshed. It was one of the best date nights we've ever had. I really recommend other CF couples giving this a shot next time you're in the hospital together. It was exactly what we needed!