Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Put Your Health at the Top of the List!!

I can't stress this enough, working out consistently is tough. I mean, we all have lives. We all have a million things going on. We all have friends to hang out with. We all want to watch TV. We all want to work...ok, maybe I took it too far, but I do in fact want to work! We all have about hundred things that we'd rather do than workout. Here's the problem though, there is nothing that we can put before working out that is going to make a more positive impact on our health.

So what happens when we put all of those other things in front of working out? We're saying loud and clear that all of those other things are more important than our health. We're saying that we'd rather do those things sick, than spend an hour a day working out to do those things healthy. Don't think that's the truth? Then you're lying to yourself. The bottom line is we put things at the top of our priority list that are most important to us. You may have a million other things going on, but like it or not, you are CHOOSING not to take care of yourself. Problem is, choosing not to take care of yourself when you have CF can cost you more than good health.

I'm a big personal responsibility kind of a guy. You can replace all of the "we" or "you" in the last paragraph with "me" or "us" or "I". I haven't been putting my health as my number one priority for a while now. Sure, I'm still going to the gym once in a while. I'm still getting out for walks and occasionally a run. But that's just not good enough. I'm not just saying that either, I'm feeling it, and when I'm feeling it, is when I've definitely had enough.

So today we decided that we were NO MATTER WHAT going to be working out like we should be. It started with a walk in the morning and we had planned for a run or hike later in the afternoon. Wouldn't you know it? Just as we were getting our shoes on to go for a hike, the skies opened up and it started pouring. Now this is Arizona, it doesn't rain but once or twice a decade! It would have been really easy to just throw in the towel and say "hey, there's nothing I can do about that", which believe me, I thought about.

Instead, we packed up and headed to the gym. It ended up being a great workout and I'm of course glad that we forced ourselves to do something no matter what. It feels like such a bigger accomplishment when you push through or even drag yourself to do something.

I would just encourage all of you not to be like me this last week. Put your health as your number one priority. Cause the fact of the matter is, if you're not healthy, you won't be enjoying all of those other things for long.