Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Making Cystic Fibrosis Care a Habit

I come to you today happy to report that on Sunday I ran 2.25 miles straight. I'm to the point in my running program that I am supposed to be running 3 to 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes at a time. We'll on Sunday I ran for 38 minutes straight, and if you do the math, that equals a VERY slow pace, but 2.25 miles nonetheless. The key for me in running is just to keep moving! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other while moving forward at faster than a walking pace. I'd definitely consider myself a jogger now, but I don't want to go as far as saying "I'm a runner". That would probably bring disrespect to all of the real runners out there who bust their butt and move faster than a snails pace.

Here's the key in all of that though: I'm being the absolute BEST that I can be right now. I do test myself on every run and try to push it a little bit further than the last or make it a bit faster than I've ever run before. In fact, when I ran the 2.25 mile loop on Sunday, the first half of the run was all uphill. So again, another quick math problem, that's 1.125 miles up hill. Not bad if I do say so myself. Remember, this is coming from a guy who couldn't physically run 1 minute straight 8 weeks ago without counting down the seconds. Now, I get "lost" in my runs and often don't look at the clock until 20-25 minutes into it. It's amazing what a little hard work and determination can bring.

So how does this relate to CF? Here's how I see it: Make small commitments each week pertaining to taking care of your CF and then see where that gets you. Whether it's stepping up your treatments, getting more exercise, getting more sleep or taking in more calories, make sure you're focusing on one step at a time.

Only doing one vest treatment per day and want to get to two? Start by committing to just 5 minutes on your vest for your second treatment. Increase that by one minute every day, and before you know it, you'll be at a full 30 minutes! Calories a problem? Start by first committing to three meals a day. Then gradually add in snacks or increase meal portions. You can use this strategy when it comes to virtually any "battle" you face in your CF life.

It's just a matter of making certain things in your life habits. The only way you're going to make it a habit is by repeating the task consistently over a set period of time. They say it takes 3 weeks to form a habit, but why don't we start with a month just to play it safe?

So, what habit will YOU be starting this week?

9 people had something to say...:

Sydna said...

I like your comments about baby steps to new habits. You're right - they do help. For me, tracking everything on a chart where I get to check it off helps me do it and remember all of it as well. My hardest habit to get into is getting up at 5a every morning. I'm always so tired and try as I might, going to bed at 8:30p or 9p just doesn't happen... So I think I will try the baby steps for earlier bedtime, which should make getting up earlier easier. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats on running 2.25 miles. I will have to think about a habit for me. I have to say working out in some form but I am not sure if I can follow through in lieu of the craziness in my life at the moment. But I can try!

OceanDesert said...

THAT'S SOOOO AWESOME!!!! CONGRATS on your mileage!!

BTW- if you RUN you are a RUNNER!!! (period!)

Mandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandi said...

Just saw the picture of you running while I was scrolling through and thought I'd tell you here how much it warms my heart to see that picture. You inspire me to go farther, run faster and push harder!

*sorry about the deleted comment above, I accidently did that!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!! I can not wait to be able to run 30 minutes in a row, that is AWESOME! Keep up the good work!

Jennifer

Jess said...

I'm constantly impressed by all the goals you're achieving for yourself! I'm probably getting a treadmill this wkend so that I can walk each day and try to get in better shape.

Aimee said...

Congrats :)
I was working on getting myself up to a jogging pace but I am having some issues with my left hip and knee. My body alignment is all out of whack thanks to scoliosis! I also like your advice on setting goals related to CF!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for the great post. I thought this really made sense as a way to be more consistent with things that help. How do you keep yourself on track consistently? I often say that I will do this or that, and then do it for a few days and then am a slacker again.